Pride Flag

Information for Trans Patients
or those wishing to change their name, title and / or gender

Did you know?

Changing your name - simply complete a change of personal details form and give it to reception. We may ask to see proof of a name change (such as a deed-pole or marriage certificate) along with photographic evidence. 

Changing your title - you can change your title from Mr to Mx, or Miss/Mrs/Ms to Mx without changing your gender. If you want to change your title from Miss/Mrs/Ms to Mr, or Mr to Miss/Mrs/Ms - you will have to change your gender on your NHS records too. 

Changing your gender - if you are changing from male to female or female to male you can do this at any time, by completing a Change of Personal Details Form and you do not have to have undergone any form of gender reassignment treatment. 

*unfortunately the NHS only accepts a male / female gender for registration and for gender change currently, if you wish to choose non-binary or other, we can add an alert to your notes, so we as a practice know your preferred gender. Without a male or female gender we cannot register you or change your gender as Practitioner Services Division (PSD) will reject the application and therefore your CHI number will not change. Sadly, this is out of our hands, but we and others across the UK have raised this issue to get the system changed, when will this be, we do not know. We do understand your frustrations. 

We as a practice will ensure you get called in for your screening opportunities as long as you stay registered with us, but we do need to know your assigned gender at birth to ensure you get called in at the right time. NHS screening Guidance for Trans Patients further information can be found at Cancer Research UK.

A new CHI number can take over 4 weeks to come through to us, once we notify PSD. Once we receive your new CHI number, we will create a new registration for you at the practice within 5 days, and will aim to merge your old records to your new records in a timely manner. You should be informed of your new CHI number by PSD. If you do not receive, please contact us and we can give it to you. You may need to inform any departments in hospitals you are under of your new CHI number so they can update your records.